DWP complaints


Problems with the JobCentre / DWP ?

— We encourage you to make a written complaint


Use the following easy steps:

  • write down what your complaint is in an email
  • include a sentence where you offer to verify this email
  • put “Complaint” in the subject-line
  • cc in: a friend who you can trust
  • send the email to the DWP Complaints-Resolution-Team (CRT) for your region

In their response FOI346 / VTR899 from 26 April 2016, the DWP released the following email addresses for CRTs (if the complaint relates to working age benefits like JSA):

London Home Counties – Working Age lhc.crtteam1@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Central England – Working Age centralengland.complaintsresolutionteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Wales – Working Age wales.complaintsresolutionteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
North West – Working Age northwest.complaintsresolutionteam1@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Scotland – Working Age scotland.complaintsresolutionteam1@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
North East England (N) – Working Age nee.crtnorth@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
North East England (S) – Working Age nee.crtsouth@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Southern – Working Age: avon seven & thames and devon cornwall & somerset work seg.operationscorrespondenceteam1@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Southern – Working Age: berkshire surrey & sussex and greater wessex work seg.operationscorrespondenceteam2@dwp.gsi.gov.uk



Because it is important to inform the DWP about problems, so that they can understand that improvements are necessary.

By doing so, and by copying in a friend or somebody who you can trust, you are creating a written record of your case and evidence of what you said when, and it will be harder for the DWP to ignore your complaint and e.g. claim that they never received it.


Please note:

1) The DWP have a policy to ignore emails that cannot be verified. For this reason we recommend that you state “I am happy to verify this email in person with my ID.” in your complaint email. Additionally, the DWP will usually need your NI-number and address to identify your claim.

2) The DWP distinguish between complaints and appeals/requests for mandatory reconsiderations. If you want to do both you may just send the same email with a different subject-line and title. But for legal reasons we recommend that you seek advice (as per “Further help” below) if you are unsure.


Tips for writing the complaint:

  • don’t swear
  • don’t make unfounded allegations (i.e. be sure to have something to back up what you are saying)
  • describe what happened to you (calmly like a neutral witness)
  • explain what should have happened
  • explain what you request that should happen now (to remedy the situation), or simply ask them to rectify the situation


Further stages for complaints:

If you do not receive a response from the DWP within 15 working days, we recommend to wait a few extra days and then to take your complaint to your local MP, and complain about the delay. The MP irrespective of what party they belong to have a duty to help in matters such as this, and we recommend you ask the MP to write to the Director General of the DWP about the delay of your complaint.

If you do receive a response from the DWP, but are not happy with their decision, you can escalate it for a final response from the Director General by emailing: correspondence@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Then again, if after 15 working days they have not responded, you should contact your MP.

When you received the final response (or when you haven’t because the DWP take more than 15 working days) then you can complain to the Independent Case Examiner (ICE) e.g. by emailing: ice@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

If you are not happy with the response from the ICE then you can take the complaint through your MP to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO). If they find in your favour, the PHSO can award compensation money.



Further help:

We are unfortunately not able to do casework. But please contact your local CAB, LawCentre, or other advice agency if you need further help with writing the complaint or with casework. A list of some local advice agencies can be obtained from Unite Community.


Relevant links:






They also released the following contacts:

Carers Allowance cau-cfg.complaints@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Disability Blackpool blackpoolbc.customercomplaints@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Yorkshire Disability yorkshire.bccustomerservices@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Bootle Disability bootledbc.qualityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Disability Bristol bristol-dbc-customer-services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Disability Scotland glasgow-dbc-customer-services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Wales Disability wales-dbc-customerservices@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
DLA Child midlandsdbc.complaints-resolutionteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Attendance Allowance aaunit.crmteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Social Fund socialfund.complaintresolutionteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
National Employer Services nept.customerservice@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Fraud and Error Service crt.fescrtspoc@dwp.gsi.gov.uk


For other comments, such as compliments or feedback they gave these contacts:

Contact Centres ccscustomerfeedback.handlingteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Helpline helpline.customerservices@dwp.gsi.gov.uk